NEW! FontLab Studio 5.2 for Windows with new features (create OpenType fonts with up to 65,535 glyphs, improved OpenType generation through FEA syntax 2.5, interpolated nodes, OpenType Layout features in Metrics Window, class kerning overlay preview, new Change Weight and Clean Up Paths operations, MM glyph blend preview, canvas notes, Python 2.7, improved user interface) and hundreds of bugfixes. Free upgrade for all Windows users of FontLab Studio 5 and AsiaFont Studio. Download the first Public Preview today!
FontLab Studio 5.2 for Windows, Public Preview build 4692
We are excited to introduce a Public Preview build of the brand-new FontLab Studio 5.2 for Windows! Please read the release notes below, and give it a try!
Note: This is a pre-release version. The current release version of FontLab Studio 5 for Windows is 5.0.4. If you're using FontLab Studio in a production-critical environment, please keep using the release version. However, you may install the new Public Preview version in addition to your release version, in a different folder.
DOWNLOAD FULL FontLab Studio 5.2.0 for Windows Public Preview build 4692 for existing users. This version is fully functional and requires a valid FontLab Studio for Windows "FS5W" serial number.
DOWNLOAD DEMO FontLab Studio 5.2.0 for Windows Public Preview build 4671 for testing purposes only. This demo version has export and saving limitations.
Please report problems, findings, comments on the FontLab Studio Public Preview board on the FontLab forum!
Major New Features
Improved OpenType generation
Adobe FDK for OpenType (AFDKO) version 2.5 is integrated, and the 6,400 glyph limit is removed. FLS can now save and generate fonts with up to 65,635 glyphs.
Contour / Interpolate / Horizontal and Vertical enables and disables the ?interpolated? state of a node (in X and Y separately). The position of an interpolated node will change accordingly if nodes between which an interpolated node is located are moved.
Class Kerning Overlay Preview
All class members being overlaid semi-transparently on top of each other for the active kerning pair in the Metrics Window / Kerning mode if Tools / Options / Metrics window / Show all kerning class members for selected pair is enabled.
OpenType Layout-aware Metrics Window
New setting in the Metrics window toolbar is available: Process Features. If enabled, OpenType Layout substitutions are performed to the text entered in the Metrics Window depending on the features enabled in the OpenType Preview panel. For example, if you type in ?Hello? in the Metrics window, switch to the Metrics mode, in the OpenType Preview panel enable the ?smcp? feature, then the Metrics window will show the glyphs ?/H/e.sc/l.sc/l.sc/o.sc?. Works in the Metrics In the Preview, Metrics and Kerning mode of the Metrics window. OpenType Layout features must be compiled using the Compile button in the OpenType panel for this to work.
- This build supports Python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 on Windows (the most recent Python is used).
- New operation: Contour / Paths / Change Weight uses the Fontographer ?Change Weight? algorithm to change the weight. Works differently than Actions / Effects / Bold/Outline.
- New operation: Contour / Paths / Clean Up Paths uses the Fontographer ?Clean Up Paths? algorithm. Works differently from ?Optimize? and is not MM-compatible. This is also available as Action / Contour / Clean Up.
- New view: Preview panel / Preview tab / Preview options dropdown menu / MM Blend. In an MM font, previews a series of interpolated instances of the current glyph between two masters. The number of instances previewed depends on the size of the panel.
- Add Canvas Note in the context menu now creates a note inside a glyph which can be positioned inside the glyph window. There can be multiple in-glyph notes per glyph. The old Add Note behavior is now available as Add Glyph Note.
- New setting in Tools / Options / Glyph Windows / Outline drawing / Thick outline results in a thicker outline being drawn in the Glyph window.
- File / Import / Background now supports PNG, GIF and JPG in addition to TIFF and BMP.
- All core bugfixes from FontLab Studio 5.1.3 on Mac OS X are now incorporated into FontLab Studio 5.2 on Windows.
Build 4692 (published 2012-11-06)
- #### Opening UFO files through RoboFab macros now works!
- #051 It is possible to close font without saving if it has unsaved changes (SAO bug)
- #052 Undo/redo does not work for "Glyph note" in font window.
- #053 Undo/redo does not work for "Glyph note" in glyph window.
- #062 It's possible to create empty note
- #063 "Add note" window dialog is not modal
- #068 "Add note" text input field doesn't have scrollbar
- #084 "Sample font is not installed" message is displayed when Type 1 hinting mode is activated
- #085 "?" sign is displayed instead of selected character in Type 1 hinting mode
- #087 "Polygon" tool from "Paint" palette leaves junk
- #092 It's impossible to change angle of guideline from its properties
- #100 No visual feedback of Note window when clicking anywhere else out of it
- #105 OpenType panel isn't closed after corresponding button on "Panels" toolbar is unpressed
- #106 Incorrect cell captions are printed when "Font Table" item is chosen
- #115 "Autohint unhinted glyphs" checkbox doesn't work
- #116 "Autohinting" command with "Adobe" engine doen't work
- #118 "Key" menu item of Glyphs bar contextual menu is dimmed in Glyph window
- #119 OpenType panel can't be opened if Output panel is opened
- #120 Crash when importing attached file as a background
- #122 Impossible to generate DSIG table
- #130 Contextual menu of Classes panel is dimmed when panel is unmagnified
- #131 Note disappears when deactivating guides layer
- #134 Classes panel is corrupted if it was invoked from "Properties" window dialog
- #139 Don't present a lot of items in the "Category" pop-up men
- #141 Low quality and corrupted icons after activating "Large icons" checkbox in the "Tools / Customize / Options" dialog
- #144 Impossible to close "Metrics commands" and "Metric tools" toolbars via "View>Toolbars" menu
- #147 "Save" button doesn't work in the "Window>Windows" dialog
- #149 Incorrect behavior of the "Undo" action for the "Canvas Note"
- #157 "Two-byte codepage" pop-up menu doesn't appear while choose CJK codepage
- #162 Junk toolbar remains visible while deactivate "TrueType Hinting" mode
- #165 Crash when dropping font into "OpenType" panel
- #166 Incorrect cell captions are printed when "ANSI" item is chosen
- #168 Impossible to save changes in the "Canvas note" while activate it temporarily