BitFonter is a professional bitmap font editor for Mac OS X and Windows. It allows creative professionals, web designers and manufacturers of electronic devices to create and modify bitmap fonts for print publications, web pages, animations, computer games and electronic devices, convert between bitmap font formats as well as from and to outline font formats, and apply special effects to your outline fonts when used together with TypeTool, FontLab Studio or AsiaFont Studio.
Most desktop operating systems (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux) use outline fonts in Type 1, TrueType and OpenType formats. Outline fonts can be scaled to any size but in very small sizes and low resolutions, they may not be very legible. In bitmap fonts, the designer can control the precise positioning of each pixel, which is why bitmap fonts are popular on low-resolution devices such as portable communication devices, PDAs, mobile phones, LED displays, printers, ticketing machines etc. Also, while outline fonts are limited to monochrome letterforms, bitmap fonts can use the full color palette and transparency. That is why bitmap fonts are widely used in computer games as well as in TV, film and motion graphics applications.
New and improved features of BitFonter 3.0 in detail
- BitFonter does Windows! Previous versions of BitFonter were only available for Mac OS X, but now, BitFonter 3 is also available on Windows.
- Powerful conversion of bitmaps and bitmap fonts from and to Type 1, TrueType and OpenType fonts though integration with FontLab Studio 5.0.3 and TypeTool 3.
- Improved support for glyph outlines: better outline display, all font outlines can now be imported into BitFonter’s outline layer.
- Streamlined user interface more compatible with FontLab Studio 5 and TypeTool 3, so switching between the bitmap and the outline font editor is easier.
- Simplified conversion of scanned lettering or digital photos into fonts through easier handling of image cells and vastly improved algorithms for automatic shape detection, baseline detection and background removal.
- Faster and more precise image manipulation filters for blurring, softening, sharpening, embossing, adding noise etc.
- Improved import of various image formats (EPS, TIFF, JPG, PNG, GIF etc.)
- More creative power with the improved brushes panel, allowing you to store and re-use the most commonly used brushes, new selection modes, new rotation tool and new tools options panel with more options for each tool — so users of Adobe Photoshop will feel at home instantly.
- Easier, faster, more consistent spacing and kerning through the improved autospacing and autokerning algorithms, the new multiline metrics window with customizable colors and new FontLab Studio-style metrics table, as well as AFM export and import of metrics and kerning.
- Faster and more reliable file saving using a new BitFonter binary file format (.bfb).
- Improved support for the innovative Photofont technology, BitFonter 3 opens photofonts almost 10x faster than previous versions.
- Multiple Unicode codepoints per glyph possible (“double-encoding”).
- Easier navigation through the glyph repertoire using larger glyph cells and the new glyph index mode.
Professional bitmap font editor. Version 3.0 for Mac and Windows.
Turn any artwork into fonts. Automatically convert scanned images or digital photos in any popular format (EPS, TIFF, JPG, PNG, GIF etc.) into bitmap or outline fonts. BitFonter will automatically find character shapes on your image and separate them from the background, will find the baselines and will let you assign the image cells to glyphs (characters) per drag-and-drop. If you wish to create an outline font (in Type 1, TrueType or OpenType format), BitFonter will use its sophisticated fine-tunable autotracing algorithm to turn your bitmap images into outlines.*
Extend your personal font library. With BitFonter, you can remix, ‘scratch’ and customize your existing PostScript, TrueType or OpenType fonts using built-in bitmap operations such as blurring, softening, sharpening, embossing, adding noise or texture. You can even apply sophisticated bitmap effects in Adobe Photoshop or any other image-editing application. The results can be converted into new outline fonts that can be used in any applications on the same workstations that the original font was licensed to—provided that the original font’s license agreement (EULA) permits modifications.*
Be creative with Photofont®. Photofont is an XML-based technology developed by Fontlab Ltd. that brings the beauty of full-color bitmap fonts to both print and web pages. Create full-color fonts with transparency and use them in as web headlines or design elements in your print work. Imagine computer letters with true calligraphic expression, visible brush strokes and paper structure — a new dimension in the field of typography that was until now dominated by black-and-white type!**
Convert outline fonts into bitmap fonts. Create sample versions of your TrueType, Type 1 or OpenType fonts and distribute them without risk over the Internet, or customize your web page headlines.
Bitmap font conversion. Convert between any of the supported bitmap font formats (universal as well as vendor-specific: Adobe, Apple, IBM, Microsoft, Palm and Unix), optionally changing between color, grayscale and monochrome modes.
Bitmap fonts for electronic devices. Create fonts in a variety of formats usable in printers and imaging devices, mobile electronic devices, phones and electronic displays. Fonts created with BitFonter can be used on mobile operating systems such as Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Symbian OS, Java.
Superb screen legibility. Create razor-sharp fonts that improve screen text legibility in small font sizes. BitFonter supports Unicode-compatible OpenType SBIT fonts with embedded bitmaps that work on Microsoft Windows and on numerous portable electronic devices. Achieve the same crisp font quality in Adobe Flash applications by exporting your outline font as a TrueType pixelfont.*
Multilingual Unicode fonts. Create bitmap fonts for any script, alphabet or language. BitFonter ships with a multitude of codepage and encoding definitions and support the basic multilingual plane of the Unicode Standard version 5.0, multiple Unicode codepoints per glyph (“double-encoding”), and fonts with up to 65,535 glyphs.
Easy-to-use user interface. BitFonter’s intuitive user interface is easy to understand for users familiar with image-editing applications such as Adobe Photoshop, as well as for type designers who have experience with FontLab Studio, TypeTool, AsiaFont Studio or Fontographer.
Professional image editing tools, transformations and filters, from Pencil to Gaussian blur.
US$499, scroll down for upgrades and more purchase options
* To create Type 1, TrueType or OpenType fonts, BitFonter must be used together with one of Fontlab Ltd.’s outline font editors (currently supported are: FontLab Studio 5.0.3 or higher, TypeTool 3.0.0 or higher).
** To use photofonts, the user needs a Photofont-capable application such as our free Photofont Start plugin for Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter and Corel Paint Shop Pro. More plugins (for Adobe Flash, Adobe Dreamweaver and Adobe InDesign) are under development.